By Jen Gendron: Health & Wellness Coach
The temperature hasn’t even started to rise yet but already, we have had many members talking about taking the summer “off” from the gym. While many of us long to get outside and enjoy the beautiful summer weather once it arrives, there are many reasons why we don’t recommend taking the summer “off” completely from the fitness regime you have worked so hard to stick to throughout the colder months.
Here are a few of the reasons why you should continue to make the commitment to yourself all summer long:
1. When you take the summer off, it changes your mindset and can take you down a path of unhealthy habits quite quickly. When you work out, you feel good all around and your healthy lifestyle generally tends to follow you outside the gym leading to healthier eating habits & more conscious living. Once we get away from our fitness regime, other things can quickly begin to slide as well.
2. You will fall prey to the old theory of “reversibility” very quickly! While you may be active in other ways over the summer – playing outside with the kids, doing more walking, etc., if you give up your weight training routine, you will notice that you have not only lost the strength gains you had made throughout the winter, but you may also come back in the fall with less than what you started with! So even if you decide to cut back a bit in the summer, be sure you at least have a maintenance plan in place to keep all of your hard work in place. It is crazy how many people come back to see us in the fall shocked at what they have lost and feeling like they are starting back from scratch or even worse – behind where they even began!
3. You have finally gotten to the point where exercise is a habit for you – this was not easy for many of you I am sure! The last thing you want to do over the summer is “undo” that amazing habit you have been able to achieve – it has given you great results and made you feel great. Do you want to chance losing that? Remember, it takes 21 days to create a habit – we can break it much faster sadly!
4. Maintain what you’ve gained! While you may not want to spend as much time in the gym as you have been all winter long, by coming up with a maintenance plan for the summer months, you can ease up a bit from your regular training schedule but still maintain all you have accomplished. You may not want to set yourself new goals or push harder in the summer time, but at least commit to yourself that you will maintain all that you have worked so hard to achieve. If you are not sure what you need to do to achieve a maintenance state, one of our personal trainers would be happy to design a summer program that meets your needs.
5. You will be able to enjoy all the fun that summer brings along with it guilt-free! Summer brings with it many social events, BBQ’s, potlucks and opportunities to get together with friends and family to enjoy some treats and maybe a beverage or two. If you are sticking to your program and staying active, you can enjoy a few more “treats” guilt-free and not have to worry about returning in the fall a few pounds heavier.
6. You will feel better! At the end of the day, isn’t feeling better the reason why we spend all this time investing in our health & fitness anyway? We want to feel better not only physically but mentally and emotionally as well. Keeping active is a great way to keep yourself feeling great all around – mind, body & soul! So, sticking too the program will help you to feel great all summer long!
Think long and hard before throwing in the towel this summary and remember how far you have come – let’s make sure you are able to stay there!